Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Possible narrative topics


Reading story that I had only ever heard before or seen before /reading my favorite Shakespeare for the first time
  • What happened and who was involved? – I have a few options for this the first would be to write about Jane Austin’s Pride and Prejudice, which happens to be one of my favorite books, or when I read Merchant of Venice for the first time. Everyone in the class read Pride and Prejudice, but I was the only one to read Merchant of Venice.
  • When and where did it happen? - Both occurred in my AP English class senior year of high school.
  • What makes the story comes alive? – It was a big deal for me to see these stories that I love so much in a different format. It was very freeing to read about these characters but without being restricted by someone else’s interpretations of their words and emotions.
  • Who’s telling the story? - As it shall be a narrative about me, I shall write it in first person.
  • Why does the story matter? – It shows the dedication involved for reading something I was already familiar with, something I never do because reading can be difficult.

Preparing for my AP English exams.
  • What happened and who was involved? -  My English teacher would have our class read and grade essays from years past, then use those examples to practice our own timed essays.
  • When and where did it happen? - My AP English class senior year of high school.
  • What makes the story comes alive? – It was a very difficult tasks for me to write convincing essays in such a different format with a time limit. I had a very hard time trying to shift my style of writing to fit what I was asked to do.
  • Who’s telling the story? - ME!
  • Why does the story matter? – It was a big challenge to try and switch formats and expand writing comfort zone.

Receiving post cards from my dad while he was at sea.
  • What happened and who was involved? – My father would send me postcards when he would be in port.
  • When and where did it happen? – Every time he went to sea while I was growing up, up until I was maybe 12
  • What makes the story comes alive? – My dad has been away for half of my life, and when his ship was not in port, there would be no way to contact him. As a kid I didn’t have an email, so his postcards were the only way I had to hear from him.
  • Who’s telling the story? – Margaret MacKay
  • Why does the story matter? - They may not have been particularly detailed or lengthy, but for a child those postcards were extremely important pieces of literature to grow off of.

No comments:

Post a Comment